Psychotherapy can be an effective means of addressing the aftermath of abuse and all forms of interpersonal mistreatment and can help us develop the life skills necessary for protecting ourselves and meeting our needs in all kinds of relationships. However, it isn’t intended to be used for crisis intervention.
The following is a list of UK and International helplines that may be useful to people in gaining immediate advice and support during crisis. Please feel free to use the comments box below to add any similar services in your country or area that may be helpful for others:
- UK Police: 999 press 55 when prompted if you can’t speak
- Refuge UK-wide 24-hour helpline: 0808 2000 247
- Welsh Women’s Aid Live Fear Free 24-hour helpline: 0808 80 10 800
- Scotland National Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriages 24-hour helpline: 0800 027 1234
- Northern Ireland Domestic Abuse 24-hour helpline: 0808 802 1414
- UK Men’s Advice Line 0808 801 0327
- UK Women’s Aid https://www.womensaid.org.uk/
- Crisis (UK Homelessness) https://www.crisis.org.uk/
If you have a history of self-harm or suicidal behaviour, or express suicidal intent or ideation during therapy it is important to organise a support plan with you at the assessment stage, depending on the level of your intent. This could include looking at steps we can take to manage your anxieties, mood and behaviours in ways that keep you safe; putting in place Supplementary Support between sessions if necessary. It could also include plans that, for example, allow me to contact a named person if I am concerned for your safety or the safety of others. If you are in and out of crisis or have strong suicidal intent now it is important to seek crisis support early, as psychotherapy is not an appropriate service for life-threatening states of crisis.
© Copyright Notice: All original artwork, photographs, written and audio material on this website is subject to copyright and cannot be used, shared or reproduced without permission and clear attribution being made to the author. Please contact me if in doubt. Other images are used courtesy of kind contributions by photographers and under Creative Commons licences where attributed e.g. pexels.com, wikipedia commons and dreamypixel.com